04 September 2009

The Spirit Is A-Movin'

Our RCIA program is getting a huge overhaul this year. And I'm coordinating it. In the past, it was dry and boring. The Spirit still worked through this, but it could definitely have been more engaging. Since the new Rector at St. Jude's gave me responsibility for developing an RCIA team, I have been operating within various levels of "Holy shit I don't have an effing clue what I'm doing." Rather than spend all my time freaking out, I've been trying to commit my new roles in the parish, especially the ones in which I am least experienced, to prayer.

And so, as I've been searching for team members in a parish that has no sense of community, God has been very good to me. The best and most surprsing evidence of God's hand in the matter came today. I was working on the new handbook for religious education when the receptionist called to tell me I had a visitor. A woman I'd never met before was in the waiting area of the office, hoping to volunteer for the RCIA team. She has had years of experience coordinating RCIA for her last parish. She is moving to another state in 9 months and wants to get involved somewhere else while she lets them transition to new leadership. She said she just had a feeling that we could use some help, but she wasn't sure why. Needless to say, I signed her up immediately.

God is crazy!

And by crazy I mean awesome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that's great, Anthony! It can be easy to forget to bring our ministry to prayer, but you have wonderfully reminded us all of how God truly works through prayer (and others). :)

Isaac Garcia said...

That's so awesome Anthony! The Spirit is there and now an experienced voice will be there too.