27 April 2010

The Other Side

We're hiring a new DRE to replace my mentor, the parish saint. She's the only DRE they've ever had (going on 28 years) and built the program from scratch.

I'm a member of the search committee. My invitation was scrawled on the first of a slew of resumes I discovered in my mailbox: "Here's the info-- but you're not voting." Despite that initial welcome, I slithered onto the interview panel and have since spent three full days in interviews.

It's been so helpful to be on the other side. The first time I saw the search committee (friends and coworkers) in interview mode I thought, "If I were the person on the hot seat I would think everyone was mean and hated me. But I know these people. And they're normally nothing like this." As I've undergone my own interviews since this process, I've tried to remember that each person in the room is just a regular person who doesn't intuitively hate me (even if it seems like it).

Another thing I noticed was that we might all go on as if we really liked the candidate, and even talk to her in a way that suggested she was going to be hired, when, really, everyone in the room knew from ten minutes in that she was absolutely the wrong fit! At the end of those interviews I often wondered why we let it go on so long. I'm still not sure. Since then I've decided not to make myself crazy (when I'm on the other side) trying to read what I think are the committee's cues.

I learned that the elite candidates were specific. They could list their top three ministerial qualities without hesitation. They clearly articulated their weaknesses. ALL of their answers included particular examples from previous experience. They could apply seemingly unrelated experiences and skills to answer questions that were a bit outside their background.

So, my advice: apply to join a search search committee, and then apply for jobs.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately I cannot be on the search committee for the position that I am applying for, but everything else was great advice, thanks Gen!

Isaac Garcia said...

Thanks for the advice Gen! I'll keep this in mind when I interview (and before then too as I prepare for the interviews).

Tae said...

upon first glance at the title, i thought this was going to be another reflection using Star Wars. OR at least the Red Hot Chili Peppers' song.

this is great advice. i remember interviewing candidates for my High School Assistant Principal position and which candidates stuck out(for better or for worse)...and it was pretty much all the reasons that Gen listed here and some others- knowing the facts about a place. turning weaknesses into strengths. being personal without being too revealing. clear articulation about subject matter even on difficult/random/weird questions.

As Laskey's boy, Tim Russert, said, "If you can't answer tough questions, you can't make tough decisions."

Katie said...

That's great, Gen! Thanks for sharing!

One other bit of advice from interviews I've done (mostly Res. Life at MU) -- NEVER bad-mouth someone in your interview. I don't care how awful your boss/co-worker/mentor is. You will sound awful if you do that.

And be yourself! Echo people are pretty stellar by nature. Someone will hire you when it's right. :)

See you all in less than two months!!